The Saranac Lake Winter Festival takes place annually with the 2015 event running from Feb 6-15.
Here are 12 good reasons why you should consider visiting:
1. Situated in Upstate New York, the Saranac Lake Winter Festival takes place in the popular Adirondack State Park among the stunningly beautiful Adirondack Mountains.
2. The Festival has been an annual event for over 115 years and is steeped in nostalgic tradition – be sure to keep your eyes open when the frying pans are thrown around!
3. Each year brings a fun new theme – this year it’s the 1960s.
4. Talented musicians provide live music and this year there will be a groovy 60s vibe.
5. Spectators can enjoy watching the parade floats and a beautiful carved ice palace or castle will be on display.
6. Activities to watch or take part in include ski races, both cross-country and downhill, with separate events for children and adults in the cross-country races. There will also be a curling competition and snow golfing which is just like miniature golf but with obstacles made of ice and snow.
7. Browse the book sale for some bargains.
8. See exciting fireworks light up the sky on opening night, Thursday night and closing night, with downhill skiers also carrying torches as part of the display on Thursday night.
9. Enjoy a delicious barbecue dinner.
10. While you are visiting the Saranac Lake Winter Festival, you can try downhill (alpine) or cross-country (Nordic) skiing on one of the snowy slopes or trails, or how about snow shoeing? For adventurous folks at heart there is snow mobiling, or you can try ice skating both outdoors or in the comfort of indoors. All of these activities are great exercise and there is something fun for everyone to try.
11. Away from the trails you can learn more about the region by checking out one of the fine museums in the area. Consider visiting the beautiful 1932 and 1980 winter Olympic village of Lake Placid next to Mirror Lake.
12. Why not stay over? Lodging in the Saranac NY area includes comfortable bed and breakfasts, hotels, motels, rustic cabins, lodges and resorts, and there’s fine dining to be enjoyed in the village restaurants.So there you have it; the Saranac Lake Winter Festival is well worth a visit and the village is the perfect place for sightseeing, nature shots, shopping, watching sporting events, skiing, dining and more. What are you waiting for?